Hello Fellow Paxonites,
By now most of you have received a "Save The Date" flier via e-mail regarding the book signing of Once A Coach, Always A Coach, a biography of Coach Tom Wasdin. As you know, Coach Wasdin taught PE and was a basketball coach at Paxon for six years (60-66.) Later he was a basketball coach a Jacksonville University and was there when JU put Jacksonville on the map as a serious contender for the NCAA championship. He also had a very successful business career, with his wife, Susie, by his side, matching him shot-for-shot.
What many of you didn't know about Coach Wasdin is that he suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia for almost twenty-five (25) years. It is commonly referred to as the "suicide disease" because the pain is so severe that patients consider suicide as an option to be rid of the pain. I won't go into an explanation of this insidious disease here, but encourage to you all to research it on the internet or at the library to obtain a better understanding of how devastating TN can be.
In spite of long-term suffering with TN, Coach Wasdin considers himself blessed. He and Susie have donated both time and money to many charities, including the TN-Facial Pain Association and Jacksonville University Basketball Athletic Scholarship Fund.
The upcoming book signing at Steve Pajcic's home on November 16h is a two-fold event: one, for the benefit of TN-Facial Pain Association; and, two, for the benefit of JU. Two non-profit entities close to his heart.
Coach Wasdin will be signing and giving a book (one per family) to everyone that would like one. He and Susie would appreciate it if you would consider a tax deductible donation to:
TN-The Facial Pain Association
Your donation will support "Find A Cure" for Trigeminal Neuralgia. The University of Florida has a research team in place presently and they are hopeful that significant progress can be made within the next five (5) years that will make a difference for people suffering from this disease.. The TN- Facial Pain Association has established a matching grant up to $500,000, so these funds will be matched dollar for dollar; or Jacksonville University for Basketball Athletic Scholarships.
If you plan to attend November 16th send the following info to
1) Please advise if you are attending alone or bringing a spouse or significant other (no children please);
2) Please advise which Paxon class you were in and if applicable, the class of your spouse;
3) Please remember that all contributions to TN or JU are tax deductible;
4) If you are not able to attend and would like to make a contribution, please write your check to: TN-The Facial Pain Association c/o 29 Riverside Dr. PH 602, Cocoa, FL 32922; OR JU for Basketball Athletic Scholarships c/o 29 Riverside Dr. PH 602, Cocoa, FL 32922; your donation will be acknowledged;
5) If you are unable to attend, you are making a contribution and would like a book mailed to you, please add $4.00 to your contribution to cover shipping expenses. (One per family, please.)
6) If you have already purchased a copy of the book and would like Coach Wasdin to sign it for you, please bring it with you to the signing.
Click here for latest "SAVE THE DATE FLIER". If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at Once-a-Coach@bellsouth.net or email@example.com I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. I look forward to seeing you all there!
My best to each and every one of you,
Angela Caporali Briggs
Class of 1964